Location: UK: London/Remote
Opportunity: 6 month returnship as part of the Insurance Cross-Company Returner Programme 2024
Start date: 7 May 2024
Apply by: 29 February 2024
Who is Howden?
Howden is a leading international insurance group. They work with businesses of all sizes, from small regional firms to multinational household names, managing multi-billion dollar premiums.
Howden recognises that rewarding careers do not always follow a conventional path – they value the diversity, fresh perspectives, and wealth of experience that returning professionals can bring to their growing business.
As such, they are proud to be partnering with Career Returners and the Insurance Families Network to launch their 2024 Return to Work Programme that provides returning professionals based in the UK with a supported route back into the workforce. They are able to offer a number of exciting opportunities within key areas such as Broking, Underwriting, M&A, Finance, Data, and Business Services.
To learn more about Howden please click here.
What is the Return to Work Programme?
The Return to Work Programme is a 6-month placement opportunity from May to November 2024. After submitting your CV and going through Howden’s streamlined recruitment process, successful candidates will be offered a 6-month placement in an area within Howden, undertaking a professional-level job with salary aligned to that role.
At the end of the 6-month period, your placement may be converted to a permanent role.
How will I be supported in my return to work?
To set you up for success and to support your transition back into the workforce, you will receive an internal mentor to help with any training & skills updating and a buddy for any day-to-day questions. You will also benefit from a coaching programme provided by Career Returners throughout your 6-month placement period. You will also be part of a peer support group of other returners re-entering the insurance sector (also facilitated by Career Returners).
What are Howden looking for?
At Howden they consider their people their chief competitive advantage, and as such they are looking to hire returners that are able to demonstrate key qualities intrinsic to their culture: willingness to learn, adaptability, collaboration, and integrity, to name a few.
Across all areas they would also be looking to hire returners with stakeholder management gained from work in similar fast-paced corporate environments. As an international business, additional language skills or a high degree of cultural awareness are always a plus.
They are considering talent for the below areas:
- The Casualty team forms part of their Specialty broking practice. The team designs creative casualty solutions across multiple classes, and provides these solutions to clients internationally.
- The team is seeking skills in Account Management, Administration, and Customer/Client Service.
- Rethink is their digital MGA that examines how AI, automation, and machine learning can better optimise the underwriting process.
- The team is seeking skills in Data Analysis, Data Science, Project Management, and Project Delivery.
- The M&A team is a market-leading provider of specialist insurance solutions for M&A risks. The professionals that make up the team come from a wide variety of backgrounds, including insurance, law, tax advisory, investment banking, consultancy, and general industry.
- The team is seeking skills in Business Development, Due Diligence, Project Delivery, and Analytics & Reporting.
- The Group Data team is a central function within Howden. The team supports different business areas across Howden through various data-centric activities including but not limited to: data management, business process re-engineering, and research & insights.
- The team is seeking skills in Data Administration and Data Mastering.
- The Business Services team supports the full lifecycle of their insurance products, with a focus on meeting the needs of their clients and providing exceptional support.
- The team is seeking skills in Client Support, Documentation Preparation & Processing (ideally within insurance), Record Keeping, and Billing & Invoicing.
What is their flexible/hybrid working policy?
Howden does not follow a one-size-fits-all approach to flexible working by mandating that all employees be onsite X number of days per week or follow a specific work pattern. This is ultimately at the team and hiring manager’s discretion. As such, flexible working arrangements will be considered on a case-by-case basis; they will take into account your preferences and accommodate as best they can. Select roles are fully remote.
Am I eligible?
To apply for this programme you must have the right to work in the UK; visa sponsorship will not be provided.
Your career break must be 18 months or more as of May 2024. You may have been working on a small-scale basis to fit around your other commitments or have not done any paid work for a number of years.
How do I apply?
To apply to the programme, please submit your CV by clicking on the relevant links below. Please ensure your career break is clearly highlighted on your CV.
If you have any questions about the programme, please email email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 29 February 2024.